Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Amanda turned NINE last week!




Dear Amanda,

It's pretty hard to imagine that you could actually be nine years old. Nine years seems like such a long time but it went by so insanely fast. It's scary to me that the next nine years could fly by just as quickly. Before you know it, you might have some crazy idea about moving out. I hope we're still sticking with the plan you came up with when you were three or four, which was that you'd either live with me forever or maybe move next door.


For some reason, the fact that you're getting older always gets to me on the day before your birthday instead of on your actual birthday. If you think about it, the idea that it's your first day of being nine is pretty cool and exciting... full of possibilities and all that. But the idea that it's your last day of being eight is just sad. And I guess I don't like saying good-bye.

Eight was fun. And extremely agonizing. And completely wonderful. Eight was full of anxiety. Worrying about math class and wearing the wrong jeans and getting kidnapped and what will people think ifs.... Worrying about so much stuff that shouldn't be worried about at eight. Eight was about making up songs and choreographing dance routines. Eight was always putting on plays and talent shows in our living room or backyard with your sister and friends. Eight was full of singing like some diva pop star at the top of your lungs when umm... weren't you supposed to be doing your homework? Eight was still playing with Barbies with your friends (I won't tell if you don't) and creating the most intricately detailed life stories that make me sure you have a future in writing novels or for TV. Eight had quite a flair for the dramatic and an ability to embellish details in a way that always made a story more interesting.


Eight was incredibly excited about the idea of being a teacher one day, and even more-so being a teacher now. Eight loved nothing more than playing school with your sister, your cousins or your friends' little brothers and sisters. Teaching them the alphabet, shapes, math, drawing or whatever you could think of. And eight was GREAT at this. Eight tirelessly made "lesson plans" and wrote out worksheets. When it came to teaching, eight was calm, patient, tolerant and unruffled. No, eight was not always like this at other times but something about teaching brought out the best in you.


Eight was inquisitive and curious. Eight was downright nosy sometimes. Eight was careful, cautious and responsible. Yes, eight was extremely conscientious about most things. Eight was a good student, always got her homework done on time and would have rather eaten worms than be late for school. On the other hand, eight hated to clean her room, hated to take baths and avoided eating vegetables if at all possible.


Eight loved to write stories and draw. Eight taught herself how to ride a bike and how to hula-hoop. Eight loved to invent complicated desserts, drinks and snacks. Eight was unbelievably goofy. Silly like you wouldn't believe. Eight was laughing until your sides hurt on a pretty regular basis. Eight could also be moody. And picky. SO PICKY. Over food, as always, and clothes too. Even socks. Really picky. But then how cool was it that eight absolutely knew your own mind? Knew what you loved and what you couldn't possibly tolerate. Eight truly hated to pick up after herself but somehow loved to organize things. Even loved to clean out my car or purse. Eight didn't like boys yet. Thank goodness. Eight loved her friends though. Eight was loyal and caring and trustworthy.


Though I've loved eight more than I can explain, I have no doubt I'm going to love nine just as much... maybe even more.

There's a page in one of your scrapbooks about your last day of being two. On that day I took pictures of you at the top of the slide and then got all weepy when I saw them because you looked so grown up.


So on your last day of being eight I briefly had some crazy notion about making you get back up on that slide so I could take some new pictures. But then I came to my senses. You were too busy doing your own thing anyway. You were on a play-date with Holly when I thought about it. (I forget... am I still allowed to call them "play-dates" or is that not cool anymore?) Anyway, fast forward to last night when we were killing time while Alyssa was at soccer practice and when I spotted you on the playground at the top of the slide, I ran for my camera like a crazy lady and you kindly allowed me to take a bunch of pictures. Actually, when I stopped, you asked me to take more, so for the record, it's not like I was forcing you.


And just like when you were two, the pictures kind of stunned me. Not so much because you're looking grown up exactly... oh trust me, you are... but that part has been stunning me for quite some time. But just the way you seem to glow. You have such a great smile and you're gorgeous! I know, you think I HAVE to say that because I'm your mom, but it's true. You're beautiful inside and out and I love you like crazy. Happy birthday, Sweetie!

Love,
Mommy

P.S. Here you are on your last day of being two:










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're really going to leave me a comment? Thank you, thank you, thank you!